PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
When you access and use the PlayStation®Network (PSN) you agree to the PlayStation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement. Users who violate the Terms of Service and User Agreement may have their PlayStation Network access restricted by having their SEN accounts and/or consoles (PlayStation 3, PSVita, PSP, PSPGo) suspended or banned.
Click here if you wish to report someone who has violated the Terms of Service and User Agreement.
If you receive an error code with one the following error messages, your account or console has been suspended or banned:
- 8002A227: You cannot use PlayStation®Network with this account.
- 8002A231: Your Sony Entertainment Network account has been suspended.
- Access to the PlayStation®Network by this account has been banned or temporarily suspended.
Below are some common offenses which could result in a Sony Entertainment Network account or system to be banned. You may be banned for other reasons not listed below.
Modified System Software
Offender has, or is using altered or unofficial system software. To make sure you have the latest system software, make sure your system is connected to the Internet and choose the "System Update" option under Settings.
Offender's system has been modified either physically or via software.
Reversal of Charges
A console or account may be banned due to having a credit card charge reversed or "charge back" resulting in debt. A charge back can include credit card theft, identity theft, or non-approved use.
Sharing personal Sony Entertainment Network account information in order to obtain access to another persons Sony Entertainment Network account. Changing another persons email address, and/or password without their permission in order to gain and control access to an account. Offender attempted to use or take content they did not pay for.
Offensive Images or Audio
Offender posted images or broadcasted audio that contained obscenities, profanity, or was otherwise in violation of the PSN Terms of Service.
Exploiting a Game Glitch
Exploiting any issue/environment, not intended to be accessible, to give oneself an unfair advantage in online play.
Offender was verbally abusive in some way, often including use of profanity, verbal threats or insults, or otherwise offensive or inappropriate language. This can be either via verbal or text comments.
Offender used hateful language that attacks or disparages a person or group, based on characteristics of a certain group, including (but not limited to) race/ethnicity, gender, religion or sexual orientation.
Your Personal Information
Offender revealed personal contact information about themselves in a public area, such as email addresses, phone numbers, or physical addresses.
Another Person's Personal Information
Offender revealed personal information about someone else in a public area, such as email addresses, phone numbers, or physical addresses.
Abuse of Grief Reporting Function
Offender misused the grief reporting system by filing false reports against another user, or filing an excessive number of unverifiable or redundant reports in a brief amount of time.
Impersonating Another User
Offender created an account with close similarity to an existing user, with perceived intentions to impersonate the other user without their consent.
Offender excessively posted the same word or phrase, or gibberish to the annoyance of others.
Offender encouraged other users to commit inappropriate or illegal acts in game or the real world.
Offender made sexually implied or explicit comments or performed actions that had definite sexual overtones, whether welcomed or not.
Offender tried to persuade another user to share account information, including but not limited to logins, passwords, bank accounts, credit card information, etc. by any means possible.
Impersonating a SCEA Representative
Offender made comments or created an account ID that could cause other users to believe that they were a SCEA representative or have similar authority.
Offender made comments, sent PMs (Private Messages), or created an ID relating to inappropriate behavior toward children, including physical or sexual abuse and pornography.
Inappropriate Online ID
Offender created an ID that was deemed inappropriate in some way, including but not limited to containing profanity, sexual references, or hate speech language.
Offender killed his own team off in a multi-player network game.
Offender used a secret code to gain an advantage in game play, or shared codes that give an advantage in game play
Voice Communication Blocking
Offender purposely uses sound to disrupt voice chat for others.
Uploading Pornographic or Obscene Image
Offender either uploaded or created an offensive image either as part of a game or attached to a PM (Private Message).
Community Standards Abuse
An act that breaks the various agreements required to be accepted to access and use anything on the PlayStation®Network that is not defined by other offenses.
Doing or utilizing anything that gives the player a greater advantage than is intended for normal game play.
False Registration Information
Offender created an account with false information (email address, date of birth, name, address, etc).
A console and/or account may be banned if it is associated with fraudulent purchases. (Credit card theft, identity theft or non-approved use by family or friends).
Disrupting a Game
Offender was caught doing something that disrupts another user playing a mini-game.
Available services or content if system has been banned
The following is a list of features you can and can't use if your system has been banned and your SEN account terminated.
You can: browse, save, and delete sent or received messages from friends.
You can't: add friends, chat, revise your blocked users list, or create messages.
You can: see what's new in the "What's New" section, browse the online manual, use the Internet browser, download new system updates, and use Remote Play using wireless LAN.
You can't: connect to PS Home or the PS Store, manage account information including wallet charges and voucher entry, browse your download list, activate or deactivate your system, browse your trophies, or use Remote Play via the Internet.
You can: play offline games that don't require any connection to the PlayStation Network.
You can't: play games that use the PlayStation Network, purchase new DLC, or sync trophies.
You can: view manually added content as well as content that was purchased from the PlayStation Store previous to the system being banned.
You can't: upload videos or access services that require PlayStation Network sign-in, such as MLB.TV, HULU, Netflix, VUDU, etc.
You can: listen to manually added content as well as content that was purchased from the PlayStation Store previous to the system being banned. You can also retrieve music CD information.
You can't: use Music Unlimited, or purchase new music.
You can: view photos that were on your PS3 previous to the ban.
You can't: upload photos to services that use the PlayStation Network.
PSone classics save data can be exchanged between PS3/PSP systems but the PSone classic game data itself cannot be moved.
Videos and games bought on PlayStation Store cannot be moved to other devices.
Community Code of Conduct
For your reference, we have enclosed the "Community Code of Conduct" policy from our PlayStation Network User Agreement below.
Users are required to take into consideration community standards and refrain from abusive or deceptive conduct, cheating, hacking, or other misuse of PSN. Rights of other players should be respected.
The violations that are prohibited include but are not limited to the following:
- You may not engage in deceptive or misleading practices.
- You may not abuse or harass others, including but not limited to stalking behavior.
- You may not take any action, or upload, post, stream, or otherwise transmit any content, language, images or sounds in any forum, communication, public profile, or other publicly viewable areas or in the creation of any Online ID that Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA), in its sole discretion, finds offensive, hateful, or vulgar. This includes but is not limited to, any content or communication that SCEA in its sole discretion deems racially, ethnically, religiously, or sexually offensive, libelous, defaming, threatening, bullying or stalking.
- You may not organize hate groups.
- You may not upload, post, stream, or otherwise transmit any content that contains any viruses, worms, spyware, time bombs, or other computer programs that may damage, interfere with, or disrupt PSN.
- You may not use, make, or distribute unauthorized software or hardware in conjunction with PSN, or take or use any data from PSN to design, develop or update unauthorized software or hardware, including but not limited to cheat code software or devices that circumvent any security features or limitations included on any software or devices.
- You may not modify or attempt to modify the online client, disc, save file, server, client-server communication, or other parts of any game title, or content.
- You may not cause disruption to any account, system, hardware, software, or network connected to PSN for any reason, including to gain an unfair advantage in a game.
- You may not attempt to hack or reverse engineer any code or equipment in connection with PSN.
- You may not provide anyone with your name or any other personally identifying information other than your own Online ID, or the name, password or personally identifying information of any other person or business through any means, including messaging, chat or any other form of PSN communication.
- You may not take any action that SCEA considers to be disruptive to the normal flow of chat or gameplay, including without limitation, uploading, posting, streaming, or otherwise transmitting any unsolicited or unauthorized material, including junk mails, spams, excessive mails, or chain letters.
- You may not introduce content that is commercial in nature such as advertisements, solicitations, promotions and links to web sites.
- You may not introduce content that could be harmful to SCEA, its licensors, or players, such as any code or virus that may damage any property or interfere with the use of the property or PSN.
- You may not upload, post, stream, access, or otherwise transmit any content that you know or should have known to be infringing, or that violates, any third party rights, any law or regulation, or contractual or fiduciary obligations.
- You may not impersonate any person, including an SCEA or third party employee.
- You may not provide SCEA or any third party company with false or inaccurate information, including reporting false complaints to SCEA Consumer Services or providing false or inaccurate information during account registration.
- You may not sell, buy, trade, or otherwise transfer your Online ID or any personal access to PSN through any means or method, including by use of web auction sites.
- You may not conduct any activities that violate any local, state or federal laws, including but not limited to, copyright or trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, identity theft, hacking, stalking, fraud, and the distribution of counterfeit software.
Click here to read the full PlayStation Network Terms of Service and User Agreement.