PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
With system software 2.70 or later, you can text chat with people on your Friends list. You can also text chat during gameplay. Please choose from the following topics:
Starting text chat
(Start New Chat) under (Friends).
- Enter a name for the text chat room.
- Select the Friend that you want to invite to chat, and then press [OK].
The text chat screen is displayed. The chat will begin as soon as someone joins the chat.
- Up to 16 people can join a chat room.
- You can use a connected keyboard or wireless keypad for text entry.
Joining a text chat
If you are invited to text chat, a notification message will be displayed at the top right corner of the screen. Select (Chat Room (Text Only)) under (Friends), and then select the chat room that you want to join.
- You can join up to three chat rooms at the same time.
- Up to 20 chat rooms can be displayed in (Chat Room (Text Only)).
Leaving a chat room
- During a text chat, press the button.
- Press the button, and then select [Leave] from the options menu.
- If you turn off the PS3TM system or sign out from PlayStation®Network, you will automatically leave the chat room. If you join a chat room again after leaving it, the record of chat entries sent while you were gone will not be displayed.
Text chat during gameplay
- Press the PS button while playing a game.
- Select (Chat Room (Text Only)) under (Friends).
- Select a chat room.
Press the PS button to return to the game screen.
- Some games do not allow you to join a text chat during gameplay.
- To leave a chat room during gameplay, follow the same steps, but in step 3 press the button and then select [Leave] from the options menu.
- You will not be able to use the text chat feature if restrictions on its use are set under the Sony Entertainment Network sub account settings. For information about parental control settings on the PlayStation 3, click here.