PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
This article contains Adobe Flash content that may not display properly in Google Chrome. If you don't see the Flash content below, please try to open this web page in a different web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, etc.).
Click on a topic below for more information on connecting your PS3 to your television or display device.
- Reset Video Output Settings
- HDMI Cable Installation : Interactive Video Tutorial
- HDMI Cable Installation : Minimum Requirements
- HDMI Cable Installation : Instructions
- Configure Audio Output Settings
- Additional Help
Note: How to reset video output settings
If you are attempting to change to an HDMI cable from a different video cable or if the video output settings do not match those required for the display in use, the screen may stay black. If the screen stays black for more than 30 seconds, you may need to reset the video output settings of the PS3.
To reset video output settings:
- Turn the PS3 system off by holding the Power button on the front of the console till you see the power light turn red.
- Then hold the power button on the front of the console for at least five seconds until you hear a second beep to turn the system on again. The video output settings will automatically be reset to the standard resolution.
HDMI Cable Installation
Interactive Video Tutorial
Click below for an interactive video walkthrough on connecting your PS3 to your television or display device (including HDMI).
- PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system
- SIXAXISTM wireless controller (and USB cable)
- AC power cord
- HDMI cable1 (sold separately)
- TV or display monitor with HDMI port and capable of displaying picture in HD resolution
- Updated system software installed on your PS3
Visit PS3 System Software Update to download and install the most recent version.
- TV "Input" or "Video" channel for the HDMI port
You need to know the TV "Input" or "Video" channel for the HDMI port on your TV. For instance, if your TV has multiple "Input" or "Video" channels, (i.e., "Input 1", "Input 2", "Input 3", etc.), you will need to toggle through each "Input" channel on your TV until you find the correct channel that displays the HDMI picture. This is important to remember, especially if you do not see the HDMI picture after you connect the cable and configure the PS3 settings. Please refer to the TV instruction manual for more information.
- Before you begin installation:
- Turn OFF the PS3TM system using the [MAIN POWER] switch (in the back)
- Unplug the AC power cord from the electrical outlet
- Turn OFF and unplug the TV
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable into the [HDMI OUT] port on the back of the PS3 system. Connect the other end of the HDMI cable into the [HDMI Input] port of the TV or display monitor.
- Plug in the AC power cord by connecting one end of the AC power cord into the [AC IN] port on the back of the PS3 system and the other end into an electrical outlet.
- Press the [MAIN POWER] switch on the rear of the system. A red light should appear on the front of the system indicating power is available.
- Turn on the PS3 by pressing the touch-sensitive [On/Off button] on the system front. The red light will turn green, indicating the PS3 is now turned on.
Note: The blue light will also appear on the front of the system if you have a disc inserted.
- Plug in the TV and turn the power on. The PS3 should detect the HDMI display device automatically. When prompted, "Do you want to output video and audio using HDMI?", select YES and press the button. (You may need to press the PS button on the center of the SIXAXISTM controller to enable the controller first).
- The next screen will ask, "Do you want to automatically switch to the optimal setting?" Select YES and press the button.
- On the next screen, the PS3 will display the maximum resolution capable on the display (i.e., 1080p). The screen will display, "Do you accept the setting?" You will have 30 seconds to confirm your answer.2 Select YES and press the button to save your settings. You have now completed the HDMI installation.
Configure Audio Output Settings
The PS3 will automatically configure the audio output, however, if you have a home theater system, you may need to configure the audio output settings manually. See configuring the audio output settings on the PS3for instructions.
If you have issues with the installation, you may wish to troubleshoot the HDMI connection.
1We do not have any recommendations for converters that will change the output connector type from an HDMI cable to another type of video connection (i.e., HDMI to DVI converters). We also cannot guarantee that these converters will work with the PS3 system. Additionally, the PS3 system is only able to use one video output port at a time. We do not have information in regards to connecting the PS3 system simultaneously to multiple displays.
2If you do not make a selection within 30 seconds, the PS3 will automatically go back to the previous display setting it was set to. At this point, you will need to manually change the Video Output Settings under the [Settings] > [Display Settings] > [Video Output Settings]. In addition, if the Video Output Settings do not match those required for the display in use, screen may go blank when the resolution is changed (i.e., you will not see the XMB menu). If you do not see a picture after 30 seconds, you should reset the Video Output Settings. For more information on these settings, read the HDMI troubleshooting article.