PlayStation Knowledge Center
PlayStation Move redefines motion gaming through the combination of the PlayStation Move motion controller and the PlayStation®Eye camera. These devices work together to deliver a precise, immersive gaming experience. Some PlayStation Move games can even use the PlayStation Eye to put your face in the game! In the next three steps we’ll show you everything you’ll need to know for initial PlayStation Move setup.
Setting up the Motion Controller
Begin with the PlayStation Move motion controller and a USB cable, like the one that was included with your PlayStation®3.
- While the PS3 system is turned on, connect the larger end of the USB cable to the PS3.
- Connect the smaller USB plug to the bottom of the PlayStation Move motion controller
- Press the PS button on the motion controller to pair the controller to your PS3 system.
When a wireless controller is connected to a PS3 system that is turned on, the red status indicator light will blink while the controller battery is charging. If you have also purchased a PlayStation Move navigation controller, you should repeat these steps with that controller. It’s a good idea to charge your controllers until this light stops blinking before using the first use to ensure a full battery charge. It is very important to disconnect the USB cable before using the motion controller or the navigation controller.
Motion Controller Details:
Navigation controller Details:
The PlayStation Eye
The PlayStation Eye camera tracks the movement of the sphere on top of the motion controller as well as the player’s body movements. Here is the the best way to connect and position the PlayStation Eye for optimal performance.
- Set the PlayStation Eye to wide-angle mode by rotating the camera lens to the right, so the white dot that’s above the lens points to the blue dot on the body of the PlayStation Eye. Wide-angle mode allows the PlayStation Eye to track movement of the motion controller over the widest possible area.
- Place the PlayStation Eye near your television. The best placement is along the center line of your television, either above or below the screen, whichever is closer to your shoulder height.
- Turn the camera right or left until it faces the same direction as your television screen.
- Avoid placing the PlayStation Eye on very reflective or shiny surfaces, because you may experience problems if the camera views reflections as player movement.
- Avoid tilting the PlayStation Eye up or down unless you’re playing a game that specifically instructs you to do so.
- Plug the USB connector for the PlayStation Eye into your PS3.
- Lighting: PlayStation Move works well in a variety of different lighting conditions, but ideally you should minimize direct sunlight, glare, and the amount of backlighting from behind the player. Generally you can adjust your lighting the same way you would to watch TV or a movie.
- Every PlayStation Move game requires calibration each time the game is launched and each time a new player joins the game. Follow the on-screen instructions that tell you to point the motion controller toward your television or toward the PlayStation Eye and press one or more buttons to complete the calibration process. You can recalibrate anytime during game play by simply holding the SELECT button on the motion controller and following the on-screen instructions.