PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
You can download the PS3 System Software update data using a personal computer (PC), copy the update data to the PS3 system's hard disk and then perform the update.
- PlayStation®3 system.
- SIXAXIS™ wireless controller connected to the PS3 with a USB cable.
You must have the SIXAXIS wireless controller connected to the PS3 system directly via a USB cable before you attempt to do a System Update. If you do not have a USB cable to connect the SIXAXIS wireless controller , do not attempt to do the System Update.
- Computer/PC with Internet access.
- Storage media* (Memory Stick™, SD Memory Card, Compact Flash®) or a USB Mass Storage device such as a USB flash drive with least 110 MB of free space.
*An appropriate USB adaptor (not included) is required to use storage media with some models.
Download the System Software Update
- Create a folder on the storage media in which to save the update data.
Using a computer, create a folder named "PS3" on the storage media. Within the "PS3" folder, create a folder named "UPDATE". Make sure that both folder names are all UPPER CASE. Save the update data in the "UPDATE" folder.
- Download the update data and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created in step 1.
Click here to download the update file. (Click on "DOWNLOAD NOW" located on Step 2 of the "Update data download procedure" section.)
Note: Be sure to save the update data as described above. If the data is not saved in the correct way or the folders are not created exactly as shown, the PS3 will not recognize the update data.
- Location: Save in the "PS3" folder > "UPDATE" folder
- File name: Save as file name "PS3UPDAT.PUP".
Update the System Software on the PS3
- Do not turn off the PS3™ system during an update. If an update is cancelled before completion, the system software may become damaged, and the system may require servicing or exchange.
- During an update, the power button on the system front and PS button of the controller are inactive.
- Make sure the SIXAXIS wireless controller is plugged directly to the PS3 system via USB cable at all times.
- Insert the storage media or USB device that contains the update data in the PS3 system.
- From the XMB™ home menu, select (Settings) > (System Update) , and then press the button.
- Select [Update via Storage Media], and then press the button.
The system automatically searches for and finds the latest version of the update data saved on the storage media or USB device.
- Start the update.
Press the button to start the update data. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
- Confirm that the update was successful.
After the update has been completed, go to (Settings) > (System Settings) > [System Information]. If the [System Software] field displays the version number of the update, the update was successful.
- You can delete the update data from the storage media or USB device after the update has been successfully completed.
- Depending on the content, you may not be able to play without first updating the system software.
- After you have updated the system software, you cannot go back to an earlier version.
- To find out more, see PS3 System Software Update.