PlayStation Knowledge Center
If you cannot update or are stuck on the system update screen please try the following troubleshooting steps:
Update the PS3 using a PC
- STEP 1. Use a USB flash drive and create a folder in which to save the update data. Using a PC, create a folder named "PS3" on the storage media or USB device. Within the PS3 folder, create a folder named "UPDATE".
- STEP 2. Go to the PS3 PC Update page and download the update file and save it in the "UPDATE" folder created in STEP 1.
- STEP 3. Insert USB drive into the PS3 and go to [Settings] > [System Update] > [Update via Storage Media] and follow the instructions to install the System Software.
Things To Be Aware Of
Be sure to save the update data as noted below. If the data is not saved in the correct way, the PS3™ system will not recognize the update data. The folder name must be in all uppercase letters.
- Location: Save in the "PS3" folder >"UPDATE" folder.
- File name: Save as file name "PS3UPDAT.PUP".
- Reinstall system software from Safe Mode
The system software could be corrupt, try reinstalling it by going in to Safe Mode and select "System Update". To reinstall from Safe mode, you will need a USB flash drive with the latest system software downloaded to it.
Click here to learn how access Safe Mode.
- System update guidelines
Make sure you follow all of the guidelines when installing a system update:
- Do not turn off the PlayStation 3 while the installation is taking place.
- Make sure you have completed the download of the update file.
- Do not remove any storage media (i.e., Memory Stick Duo™, USB device, etc.) if updating from a storage device.
- Do not remove any discs, if updating from a disc.
If these steps did not help, click here for available service options