PlayStation Knowledge Center
Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc. (SCEA) has released a Blu-rayTM Remote Control for the PlayStation®3 (model# SCPH-98046).
Universal remotes are not compatible with the PS3.
To pair the Blu-ray Disc Remote Control with the PS3
Before pairing the Blu-ray Disc Remote Control with your PS3, the system software must be updated.
Visit PS3 System Software Update to download and install the most recent version.
- Go to (Settings) > [Accessory Settings] in the XMBTM home menu.
- Scroll down to "Register BD Remote Control" and then press the button.
- You will be prompted to press the "START" and "ENTER" buttons on the Blu-ray Disc remote control at the same time to register the remote control.
Please note, pressing other buttons in addition to the "START" and "ENTER" buttons will cause the pairing to fail.
- The remote control will enter registration mode. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration of the remote control.
- SCEA does not have any information on whether other remote controls such as, "universal remotes", will work on the PS3 console.
- Only one Blu-ray Disc Remote Control can be registered, or "paired", with the PS3 system.
- If the Blu-ray Disc Remote Control is registered with another PS3 system, it will be necessary to re-register the remote control if it is to be used with the first PS3 system again.
- Although the Blu-ray Disc Remote Control is designed for Blu-Ray movies, the same operations of the remote can also be performed when playing DVD movies and audio CDs with the exception of some functions.
- If have issues pairing the Blu-ray Disc Remote, please attempt Troubleshooting Peripherals on the PS3.