PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
Use themes to create the look you want on your PlayStation®3 system. Themes allow you to change visual elements including color, background and icons. Download a custom theme or, for you graphics pros, create your own theme with the help of a graphics program.
Themes are available on PS3 Systems that run System Software version 2.0 or later. Visit PS3 System Software Update to download and install the most recent version.
How to change themes
- In the XMBTM home menu, go to [Theme] under (Settings) > (Theme Settings).
- Select the (theme name) and press the button.
- Select (Apply) and press button to use the selected theme. The theme will now take affect displaying a new background and icons.
NOTE: When a theme file contains more than one background design, the background will change at random.
How to download a theme using a computer
- Prepare storage media such as a Memory Stick DuoTM or a USB device.
- Use a personal computer (PC) to create a folder named "PS3" on the storage media and create a subfolder named "THEME" (must be all uppercase) within that folder.
- Transfer the theme into the "THEME" subfolder
- Insert the storage media in the PS3 system. Depending on the PS3 system in use, a commercially available USB reader/writer may be required.
- In the XMBTM home menu, go to (Settings) > (Theme Settings) > [Theme] and then select [Install].
- Select the storage media device that contains your theme file and then press the button.
- Select the theme that you wish to import and then press the button.
- After installation has been completed, go to (Settings) > (Theme Settings) > [Theme] again. Select the theme you installed from the list of available themes and then press the button to view additional options. Select (Apply) and then press the button to use your theme.
How to download a theme using the PS3
Themes are available* for download directly from (PlayStation®Store).
*PlayStation®Network registration required for download.
- Download a theme file from (PlayStation®Store). The file will be saved to the hard disk.
- Go to (Settings) > (Theme Settings) > [Theme] to select the theme file that was saved on the hard disk.
- Select [Apply] and the theme will take affect displaying a new background and icons.
Creating your own themes
For instructions on how to create your own themes, please click here.