PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
With System Software 3.21 and greater, "Install other OS" feature has been deleted. This feature was previously available on the PlayStation 3 prior to the current slimmer models which launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, this feature has been removed through system software 3.21.
Notice for customers who are using another operating system
Before performing the system software update, follow the steps below:
Back up data from the other operating system
If you install the system software update, you will not be able to use the hard disk partitions used by the other operating system. The data saved in these partitions cannot be restored after the system software has been updated. Back up all data to storage media before updating the system software.
Using the hard disk partition for the PS3TM system software
If you want to allocate all of the hard disk for use by the PS3TM system software, you must format the hard disk. In this case, follow the steps below:
- Back up data
Back up the necessary data by selecting (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Backup Utility]. For details about the backup utility feature, click here .
- Format the hard disk
Format the hard disk by selecting (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Format Utility]. During the format operation, you will be asked to select a hard disk partition. Select [Use All for the PS3TM System].
For details about the format utility feature, click here.
- Update the system software
Perform the system software update.
- Restore the data
Restore the data that was backed up in step 1 by selecting (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Backup Utility].
Notice for customers who want to continue using another operating system
Do not update the system software if you would like to keep using the “Install other OS” feature. although the following features will no longer be available:
- The ability to sign in to PlayStationhttp://playstation.custhelp.com/euf/assets/KCimages/kbid_1127/Network
- The ability to use online features that require you to sign in to PlayStationhttp://playstation.custhelp.com/euf/assets/KCimages/kbid_1127/Network, such as chat.
- The ability to use the online features of PlayStationhttp://playstation.custhelp.com/euf/assets/KCimages/kbid_1127/3 format software
- Playback of PlayStationhttp://playstation.custhelp.com/euf/assets/KCimages/kbid_1127/3 format software or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3TM system software version 3.21 or later
- Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under (Settings) > (System Settings) > [Enable DTCP-IP])
- Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3TM system software 3.21 or later
- Why did you delete the “Other OS” feature?
A. To protect the intellectual property of the content offered on the PS3 system as well as to provide a more secure system for those users who are enjoying games and other entertainment content on the PS3 system, we have decided to delete the feature to address security vulnerabilities of the system. If a user (of a previous model) updates their PS3 system to ver. 3.21, users will no longer be able to use the “Other OS” feature (or access the data used by the other OS) regardless of what other OS is installed in the system. The update is optional and users can continue to use the “Other OS” feature if they do not update their system software. However, if a user chooses not to upgrade their PS3 systems, some of the features will no longer be available.
- What will happen to the Linux data and programs stored within the HDD if I update my PS3 system with this update?
A. After you update the system software, you will not be able to use the hard disk partitions used by the other operating system. The data saved in these partitions cannot be restored after the system software has been updated. If you need any data on that partition, make sure to back up all data to storage media before updating the system software.
Also in order to use the hard drive space taken up by the other operating system, you will need to reformat the whole hard drive. Otherwise, that space will not be available for use. Please note, that reformatting your hard drive will erase all data on both the PlayStation 3 operating system as well as the Linux operating system. Be sure to back up data on the PlayStation 3 operating system as well before reformatting the hard drive.
- I have updated the system software without deleting the Linux, and the hard disk partition used by the Linux is not deleted. How can I delete them now?
A. Users can delete by formatting the hard disk drive. Users should back up their personal data before formatting.
- I was using Linux and now my PS3 needs service. Can I use Linux after it comes back from repair?
A. No, we repair the PS3 system with the latest system software. Users will not be able to use the Linux after the repair.