PlayStation Knowledge Center
It may be necessary for you to change the Video Output Settings on the PS3 in order to see a picture.
Reset Video Output
If you are changing cables or cannot see an image on the screen, you may need to reset the video output to default settings. To reset the video output:
- While the PS3 system is in standby mode (red light on the front of the system), hold down the touch-sensitive On/Off button on the front of the system until the PS3 beeps a second time (approximately 5 seconds), then release it.
- The PS3 will power up, the Video Output Settings will automatically reset to the standard resolution (or detect the current display output settings of your TV/monitor).
Manually Change Video Output
If you wish to change the video cable or change the video resolution you may manually change the video output.
- In the XMB™ home menu, go to (Settings) > [Display Settings] icon and press the button.
- Highlight [Video Output Settings] and press the button.
- Select the appropriate connector type you are using for your TV (i.e., HDMI, AV Multi, etc.) and press the button.
- You may be informed the console will "test the settings for 30 seconds". Press the button to "Change" the display of the system.
- If your TV has multiple "Input" or " Video " channels, (i.e., "Input 1", "Input 2", "Input 3", etc.), you may need to toggle through each "Input" channel on your TV to find the correct one that will display the appropriate picture for your connection type (i.e., HDMI) during the 30 seconds, especially if you do not see a picture. The system will remain in the selected connector type for 30 seconds.
- Select all resolutions that are supported by your TV (i.e., Standard, 480p, 720p, etc.) and press the button.
- Select the TV type (either "16:9" or "4:3") and press the button.
- Verify your selections on the final screen and press the button to save your settings.
- At this point, you may choose to [Set Audio Output Settings] or to [Finish]. Click here for information on setting the audio output settings.
To view the supported resolutions for each cable visit What determines the video resolution for the PS3?.