PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
Pairing a controller with a PS3
Follow these steps to pair a SIXAXIS or DUALSHOCK controller:
- With the PS3 turned off, connect the controller to the PS3 with the supplied USB cable.
- Turn on the PS3.
- Press the PS button in the center of the controller
Changing the Controller Number
- Launch a game or application.
- From within the game or app, press and hold the PS button of the controller you wish to reassign.
- A screen will appear giving the option to access "Controller Settings." Highlight "Controller Settings" and press the button.
- With "Reassign the Controller" highlighted, press the button.
- Press the up and down arrow buttons to change the controller number.
- Press the button to save the controller number.
- Press the button to exit this screen.
To use a wireless controller, the user must first register or “pair” the controller with the PS3™ system and assign a number to the controller. Once a controller is paired with the PS3, you change the controller number.