PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
You can play or view content from a USB device (i.e., external USB hard drive, external USB card reader, etc.) on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.
Please note, total number of USB ports will depend on the PS3 model.
To play or view content from a USB device
- Connect the USB device.
Devices can be connected while the system is turned on.
Connect external devices, such as digital cameras that are compatible with USB Mass Storage Class, using a USB cable.
- Go to the category (Music, Video, Photo, etc.) on the XMB™ home menu, select (USB device) and press the button.
- Highlight "Display All" and press the button.
A list of all folders and playable content for that category is displayed. Please note, only files that are associated with that category will be displayed (i.e., only photo files will be displayed while in the photo category, etc).
- To view play or view a file, highlight the file and press the button.
You may also copy a file to the PS3 by pressing the button and selecting "Copy". The file will then be copied onto the PS3 hard drive.
- Not all media stored on a USB device may be recognized by the PS3, especially if the USB device requires proprietary software to load.
- Do not remove USB devices or turn off the system while data is being saved, loaded or deleted. Doing so may cause data loss or corruption.
- When using a USB flash drive with a write-protect switch, do not operate the switch when the device is connected to the PlayStation®3 system. Doing so may cause data loss or corruption.
- Also refer to the instructions supplied with the external device to be connected.
Click here for compatible music, video, and photo formats.