PlayStation Knowledge Center
The PSN Status Indicator is now located in the top right corner of PlayStation.com
If the system software does not start when the system is turned on (such as when the hard disk has been replaced), a screen such as the one shown below is displayed on the system. In this case, you must reinstall the system software using downloaded update data.
Reinstalling the system software
You will need to download the system software update data by using a computer (PC). On your PC go to the system software update page to download the update.
File is located by clicking on "Download Now" in step 2 of the "Update data download procedure" section.
- Save the update data on any of the following types of storage media.
- Disc media such as CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and BD-RE are supported.
- USB mass storage device. Storage media such as a USB flash drive are supported.
- Memory Stick Duo and other card-type storage media. If using this type of media, a commercially available card reader/writer (USB connector type) is required.
The amount of free space that is required will vary depending on the version of the update data. In general, the storage media must have at least 120 MB or more of free space.
Save the update data to the following location on the storage media. Using a computer, create a folder named "PS3" on the storage media. Within the "PS3" folder, create a folder named "UPDATE". Make sure that both folder names are all UPPER CASE. Save the update data in the "UPDATE" folder.
Be sure to save the update data as noted below. If the data is not saved in the correct way or the folders are not created exactly as shown, the PS3 will not recognize the update data.
Location: Save in the "PS3" folder > "UPDATE" folder
File name: Save as file name "PS3UPDAT.PUP"
Turn on the PS3 and then insert the storage media. Follow the on-screen instructions to reinstall the system software.
- Do not turn off the system or remove the storage media during the installation. If the installation is cancelled before completion, the system software may become damaged, and the system may require service.
- During the installation, the power button on the system front and the PS button on the wireless controller are not active.