PlayStation Knowledge Center
This article provides information on how to create, use, and delete multiple user profiles on the PlayStation®4.
The PlayStation 4 allows up to 16 user profiles to be registered to one system. You can manage multiple user profiles as well as sharing game licenses and certain PlayStation Plus features between all accounts on your console.
Creating a User Profile on PS4
You can permanently store your user details on the PS4, or use the system as a Guest. Guest account data is deleted upon logout.
- Select the [New User] option when you start up the console. If you are already logged in to the system, go to [Settings] > [Users] > [New User] option.
- On the next screen, you’ll have 2 options:
- Select [Create a User] in order to create a new permanent, Master-level profile. Detailed instructions on Master account creation can be found here.
- Select [Play as a Guest] in order to create a temporary profile. On the next screen, you can also choose [Yes] in order to sign-in to PSN. Any Trophies earned during your play session can be recorded while playing as a Guest signed in to PSN.
- If you wish to create a new sub-account, you’ll need to do so via Parental Controls on an existing Master account. Read this article for full details.
Deleting a User Profile from your PS4
You can delete any user profile from your console at any time. To do so, just follow these steps:
- Access the [Settings] menu.
- Select the [Users] option.
- Select [Delete User] from the list.
- Highlight the user profile that you wish to delete, and press [X].
- If the user has the PS4 set as their Primary console, you will have the option to [Deactivate] the PS4 for that user.
- Select [Delete] in order to remove that user and all their data from the system.
Please remember that when you delete a user profile from your PS4, the following will occur:
- All game save data and screenshots generated by that user will be erased from the hard drive.
- Any game licenses or applications that were purchased by that profile and were shared will no longer be available, unless a different profile on your PS4 also owns the license and/or has your PS4 registered as their primary console.
- Any parental control restrictions set by the deleted profile will remain on your PS4, until they are changed via another Master (i.e. non-sub) account.
Security with Multiple Users
Multiple users on a PS4 console may require additional management. In order to manage profile access on a multi-user machine, please follow these best practices:
- Ensure that your account is not set up for automatic login on the PS4. Check [Settings] > [Login Settings] and make sure that the setting is off. The last user who turns this option on in their profile will have their account automatically load when the system is switched on.
- Set a passcode for your profile. Go to [Settings] > [Login Settings] > [Passcode Management] and choose a unique code. Please note that you’ll need to enter any existing passcode in order to make changes.
- To make changes to a profile’s PSN settings always requires the account’s PSN password. Never share your PSN password with anyone else.