PlayStation Knowledge Center
Overview and Notes
The PS3 system's Backup Utility feature can be used to create a back-up of all data from the PS3 system's Hard Disk Drive (HDD) on a removable storage media (such as, USB storage device, MemoryStick™, SD Memory Card, or CompactFlash®). This feature can also be used to restore data that has already been backed up.
The PS3 requires that removable storage media be formatted as FAT32.
This feature requires PS3 system software update version 1.32 or later.
The following copy-protected content will not be transferable:
- Digital Right Management (DRM)
- PlayStation® format software game data
- PlayStation®2 format software game data
- PlayStation®3 format software Game Save Data flagged as unexportable
- Trophy data, trophy data is saved onto your Sony Entertainment Network account
Please note that, with the exception of videos, content purchased from the PlayStation®Store can be redownloaded from the PlayStation®Network download list and does not need to be backed up. Click herefor instructions on how to access your previously purchased content.
Using the Backup Utility
- Go to (Settings) > (System Settings) and press the button.
- Go to [Backup Utility] and press the button.
- You will be given three options:
- Back Up
Back-up all data from the PS3 hard disk drive to an external storage device.
Use a back-up that was made to an external storage to restore data to the PS3 hard disk drive.
- Delete Backup Data
Erase backup data.
- Back Up
- Select the option you wish to use.
Make sure the external storage device has enough space to store all the data from your PS3 system.
Note: Back-ups cannot be made to CD-R or other optical disc media.
Manually copying data from the PS3 HDD to storage media
If you wish to manually back up data from a PS3 system, you will have to select the individual file you wish to back-up and manually copy the file to a storage media.
- Connect your removable storage media (USB storage device, MemoryStick, SD Memory Card, or CompactFlash, etc.) via the appropriate slot/port) to the PS3 system.
- From the XMB home menu, you will need to specify which folder you prefer to copy information from (i.e. music, photos, games, videos, etc.) and press the button.
- Once you choose the file you want to copy, highlight the file and press the button.
- This will bring up a menu with three options: Copy, Delete, and Information.
Select [Copy] and press the button.
- Highlight the Destination Media and press the button. The file will begin to transfer to your removable media. You will be given a status screen that will show you the copy progress.
- You will then be taken to a page that states, "Copy Complete". Select the button to return to your Media Options menu. Press the button.
- Your file is now copied to your removable storage media.
- To verify your transfer was successful, you may highlight the removable storage media, press the button and select "Display All". This will show you all of the files on the removable storage media. You may also insert your media into another system (PC, PSP® portable entertainment system) and view the files that way.
Copying PlayStation® and PlayStation®2 game saves
PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game saves on a PS3 can be saved onto a PlayStation and PlayStation 2 Memory Card through the use of the Memory Card Adaptor. For information on how to copy PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game saves click here.